Sunday, February 27, 2011

"A Modest Exhibit" by Charles Sanders

Prior to this show I was what you could call an Arcade Lane virgin. This quirky alleyway between Adelaide and Regent Arcade used to house an old cinema. The interior is just gorgeous and a perfect setting for Charles Sanders intimate performance piece "A Modest Exhibit".

I first saw Charles perform in Loki Rickus' 2010 Feast Festival cabaret "Eight" and was struck with his talent. Recognising his name in the Fringe Guide I bought a ticket to his show. I was also fortunate enough to catch him doing "I'm not afraid of anything" from Songs For A New World as a preview number from the show for the Fringe Caravan teasers series in Rundle Mall and knew I'd be in for a treat.

I even found myself seated behind him on a 167 to the city yesterday evening. Though not knowing him personally I didn't chat to him, though I very much wanted to. But whatever do you say to someone you barely know, but admire greatly, other to feed their ego with compliment after compliment?

"A Modest Exhibit" takes us through Charles' life from a child who wanted to wear dresses to a man who 'still hasn't found what [he] is looking for' but has the courage to be proud of who he is. Sanders' artfully weaves in songs by Queen, Cher, The Dresden Dolls, even songs from Songs For A New World and Hedwig & The Angry Inch to create an honest, humorous portrayal of his life to this point. Charles has an amazing voice and Adelaide is truly lucky to have this performer. I cannot wait to see what else he has to offer us in the future.

Tonight was the closing night of  "A Modest Exhibit". I find myself wishing I could have seen this show every night of its three night run.

*****

Happy Fringing,
Ladyx Chronowire xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment